Tuesday, May 31, 2011

ArcheAge preview review review

I'm not altogether that interested in ArcheAge. I just haven't found anything really compelling about the game's early whisperings. Chopping down wood and riding horses don't do a whole lot for me.

I have, however, enjoyed watching certain beta videos. This one was oddly riveting to me, I don't know why. The calming music, the crazy details. It was goddamned relaxing.

When I was in high school, I'd smoke pot and watch Seinfeld to unwind, now I'm 30 and watching Russian nerds playing some Korean video game on YouTube.
The Future turned out to both be amazing and extremely sad.

But I digress.

I don't know how the hell anyone can honestly think any sort of large-scale PvP is going to be a selling point for that game. It's not happening. Big fights are going to be impossible.

Some of the ideas are things I've been a proponent of for years. Mounted combat. Playing with quest dynamics. PK Jail! Oh, PK Jail.

But I'm not seeing anything that leads me to believe any of it will be implemented very well. On paper, it sounds disturbingly like a bad mix of stuff that failed horribly in AoC, Aion, Darkfall, Allods, etc. The game is destined to be really grindy, ganky and crashy. And it seems to suffer from the sort of soullessness I despised in games like Rift - there's no strong story behind anything going on, there's no real connection you can have with the classes or races, the lore and design of everything feels whitebread. Cardboard. Look at their website, it's hysterical. Human fighter that use Haje magics. Elf priest have holy power combats. Cat People Ranger use range attacks. Seriously?

I honestly don't get it, I just don't see this game as any real threat in NA.

1 comment:

  1. It does "look" good.

    However, I assume there are going for a more sandbox feel? I haven't really looked into it.

    Most MMO's are themeparks. Holding you by the hand, directing you in a preset direction.

    ReplyDelete