Wednesday, December 07, 2011

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the TOR

3 things I did in beta that allowed me to just try to enjoy the f'ing game.



1 . I let go of any preconceived notions

I didn't compare it to some Fantasy Sandbox Game that will never exist. I didn't just blindly complain that every single aspect was directly copied from World of Warcraft.

"LOLOMG, UGNAUGHTS ARE CLEARLY JUST RESKINNED MURLOCS. FAIL."



 I enjoyed the game for what it was - a game I can play with friends that I actually find playable and fun.


2. I tried to maintain a sense of childlike awe and wonder

When I got my starship, I ran through it's corridors screaming 'EEEEEEEEE!' like a kid on Christmas morning. There's a lot of discovery in this game, a lot of gifts under the tree - learning to kick people in the balls, finding new companions, stacking up achievements in a Warzone, etc etc.

If you don't stop to smell the roses kicked-in testes and appreciate all the myriad little details in this game, you're missing out.



3. I tried a character that makes decisions that I would make

I wound up mostly playing a blackhearted Smuggler, because I wanted him to be as a dark and cold and self-serving as humanly possible. Or, in his case, Zabrakly possible. But this really locks you into your decisions playing the game - I'd just choose whatever route seemed to be the most dickish, whatever choices scored the most dark side points.

While I still plan to have a pure evil Smuggler, it's even more interesting to just play off-the-cuff and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe the road will lead to light, maybe I'll wind up leaning to be kind of shadowy neutral grey. We'll see.




No comments:

Post a Comment